Carpet steam cleaning, also known as hot water extraction, is the preferred method for deep cleaning carpets because of its ability to remove stubborn stains and embedded dirt. Steam cleaning machines blast your carpet with hot water and then use powerful suction to remove loosened dirt and excess moisture, leaving your carpet feeling and smelling fresh and clean. Here are some tips if you are considering deep steam cleaning your carpets.
- While carpet steam cleaning is recommended by most carpet manufacturers, you should stillconsult with your carpet’s manufacturer to ensure that steam cleaning is safe and will not adversely affect your carpet’s fibers, dyes, and construction.
- To achieve the best results, hire a professional to steam clean your carpets. A reputable carpet cleaning business can offer a guarantee that your carpets will be cleaned safely and effectively without any damage. Look for a company that is certified and uses Seal of Approval products and equipment, which have been tested to ensure high quality treatment.
- If you have pet urine stains, it is important to thoroughly clean and remove the stains before proceeding with carpet steam cleaning. Steam cleaning is not recommended for pet stains, since hot water can cause the crystals in your pet’s urine to bond to your carpet’s fibers, creating permanent stains and odors.
- Remove all furniture from the rooms you want to have steam cleaned. It is important to clean the entire carpet to avoid discoloration or uneven wear.
- Vacuum your carpets rigorously to remove as much dust, dirt, and pet hair as possible. If you choose to hire a professional carpet cleaner, make sure that they plan to vacuum before beginning the hot water extraction. Also ask if vacuuming is a service that is included in the price.
- It is important to steam clean your carpets during months that have the least amount of humidity. To achieve the best results from carpet steam cleaning, it is important to reduce the amount of moisture in the carpet. That is why it is important to steam clean your carpets during times when you can leave the windows in your house open to allow ventilation – such as during non-humid summer days.
- Allow carpets to dry completely before moving furniture back into the room or allowing traffic onto your freshly cleaned carpets.
- If you have small children or if any of the residents of your home have allergen sensitivities, look for companies that use biodegradable or kid-friendly, non toxic cleaning solutions in their carpet steam cleaners. Also, make sure the company uses cleaning solutions that leave little or no residue to cut down on the amount of chemicals left in your home after cleaning.
- Most carpets should be professionally deep cleaned at least once a year. Although, how often you clean your carpets will depend on the amount of traffic and soil levels in your carpet. Households with pets, kids, indoor smoking, or people with respiratory issues should have their carpets deep cleaned every six months.
- To determine if it is time to clean your carpets, move your furniture. If the carpet under furniture appears much cleaner, it is time for a deep steam cleaning.